Non-Responsive At-Fault Insurance

On This Page

Imagine this nightmare scenario. You get in a car accident. The other driver is at fault. You check for injuries, file a police report, and exchange information. However, after weeks of trying, the other driver’s insurance is unresponsive. What legal rights do you have when dealing with non-responsive at-fault insurance companies?

This article will walk you through the process of filing a claim with the other driver’s insurance and what to do if they are unresponsive. In addition, hiring a lawyer will speed up the process and force the insurance company to take you seriously.

Understanding Insurance Company Motivations

Understanding the insurance process can help when dealing with an insurance adjuster’s non-cooperation. Companies may delay or fail to respond, hoping you will give up on your claim. Getting in an accident is already enough hassle. Maybe it’s not worth it to go through all the work of fighting with an insurance company.

But do not be deterred by insurance claim delay tactics. Instead, go in with a team who is willing to fight for you. A Fairfield car accident lawyer knows just what steps to take to force the other driver’s insurance to respond.

Legal Steps Against Non-Responsive At-Fault Insurance

non-responsive at-fault insurance

The first step is to thoroughly document the accident. Always call the police and file a report. Take pictures of the scene. Record witness accounts. And exchange personal information with all parties involved.

Then, contact your own insurance company to tell them you were in an accident, but you weren’t the one at fault.

Stay consistent in reaching out to the other driver’s insurance not responding. If 10 days pass without an initial response, contact a lawyer to get the answers you need. While it may take time to process your claim, the insurance company should respond to you with acknowledgment of the claim.

Here are some legal steps you can take against non-responsive at-fault insurance companies:

Filing a Claim with Your Own Insurance

In cases where the other driver’s insurance is unresponsive after a car accident, one option is to file a claim with your own insurance under uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage. This type of coverage is designed to protect you in situations where the at-fault driver’s insurance is either nonexistent, insufficient, or unresponsive.

By filing a UM/UIM claim, your insurance can help cover medical expenses, property damage, lost wages, and other related costs. To initiate this process, you will need to notify your insurance company about the accident and provide all relevant details, including the lack of response from the other driver’s insurer. Your insurance company will then investigate the claim and determine the coverage amount based on your policy terms.

Pursuing Legal Action Against the At-Fault Driver

When dealing with a non-responsive at-fault insurance company, you may also consider pursuing legal action directly against the at-fault driver. This could involve filing a lawsuit to seek compensation for your damages. Hiring a lawyer is necessary if the insurance company continues to ignore your claims or if negotiations fail to produce a satisfactory settlement.

Filing a lawsuit requires gathering evidence to support your case, such as police reports, medical records, witness statements, and any correspondence with the insurance company. Engaging an experienced attorney, like those at Brill Law Group, is crucial in navigating the case.

Filing a Complaint with State Insurance Departments

If the other driver’s insurance company remains unresponsive despite your efforts, you can file a complaint with your state’s insurance department. State insurance departments keep insurance companies accountable by enforcing ethical practices. Filing a complaint can prompt an investigation into the insurance company and may result in them addressing your claim more promptly.

Remember, insurance companies want you to give up because they know they owe you a lot of money. Stay consistent and do what it takes to receive your compensation after a car accident.

Find a Trusted Car Accident Lawyer Who Can Help

It can be frustrating to reach out to the non-responsive at-fault insurance day after day. The medical and body shop bills are piling up, and no one is giving you the time of day.

When you empower yourself by knowing the next legal steps to take, you can remain confident in continuing with your insurance claim. Hire a Fairfield car accident lawyer to advocate for you.

Our team at Brill Law Group deals with insurance companies every day. We know how to get responses as quickly as possible so that you can receive your compensation when you need it most. Give us a call to set up an appointment.

Speak With a Lawyer Today

No Fee Unless We Win!

Hear From Our Clients

Having Dan Brill as an attorney has been a great experience. He was extremely accommodating and readily available. He got the best results for my personal injury case in a speedy manner. Highly recommended!

Zammy Lee

I was rear ended by a drunk driver in Stamford and my car was badly damaged. Dan took over my car accident case and did a great job. He answered ny questions and made me feel very comfortable during the process. Highly recommend!

Ronald Chamale

Attorney Brill is an exceptional lawyer! He is professional, detailed and swift! I cannot praise him enough for handling an incident for me that came out very favorable!
A great lawyer! Its hard to find lawyers like Mr. Brill!

Martha Wallace

Sign up and receive my e-book for FREE!


Skip to content